Requirements for obtaining Flag State Endorsements by the Palau Flag Administration in accordance with the provisions of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch-keeping for Seafarers, (STCW) 1978 as amended
- The Palau International Ship Registry will endorse those Certificates of Competence that are issued by the “STCW White List” and the procedures for the Certificates of Endorsements and Issuance of Seaman’s Book aim for a fast and efficient process in order to allow the vessel to maintain its current trading obligations without any delays.
- Minimum crew to be on board should be always in accordance to MARINE NOTICE 12-008-MINIMUM MANNING REQUIREMENTS.
- The Minimum Manning Requirements are based on:
- size and type of ship
- number, size and type of main propulsion units and auxiliaries
- construction and equipment of the ships
- method of maintenance used
- frequency of port calls, length and nature of voyages to be undertaken
- trading areas (s), waters and operations in which the ship is involved
- extent to which training activities are conducted on board
- applicable work hour limits and rest requirements
- Upon the Registration of the vessel and upon presentation of the Seafarer’s Documentation detailed below, the Palau Flag Administration will issue a Certificate of Processing of Certificate of Endorsement valid for three months. During this period the validation of the Certificate of Competence and the Seaman’s Book issuance will take place and a final Certificate of Endorsement will be issued with same validity as the Certificate of Competence.
Requirements for Certificate of Endorsement
- Documents required for obtaining Processing Certificate of Endorsement and Certificate of Endorsement:
- Each Application for endorsement of COC must include the following in order to be processed:
- a) Valid Passport
- b) Valid medical certificate of fitness. This document must be issued by a medical practitioner following the Marine Notice 12-014 and been administered within a year of submittal. (please refer to section Maritime Safety – Marine Notices)
- c) Completed application form for Endorsement of COC
- d) Two (2) identical passport size photographs(Colored) (Electronic copy is accepted in formats: .img, .png, .gif)
- e) Valid, complete and clear copy of the officer(s) appropriate certificate that was issued in accordance with STCW Requirements which should be issued by a member of the IMO White List
- f) Copies of Safety Training Certificates (Basic Training / Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats / Fire Protection and Firefighting / Personal Survival Techniques/ Advanced Fire Fighting / Radar Observation Plotting / ARPA /Medical Care)
- g) Seafarers with Designated Security Duties
- h) Complete and clear copy of the officer(s) Security Related Trainings certificate in accordance with STCW Regulation VI/5 or VI/6
- i) Copy of Page(s) of Seaman’s Book indicating personal details of Seafarer
- j) Confirmation of payment.
All Training Certificates must be in accordance with all the applicable STCW regulations. The requirements are subject to amendments, if such amendment is deemed appropriate.