Eligibility for OICEW is defined in STCW Regulation III/1. This certificate will be issued by the Administration as OCIEW following successful examination. Candidates for the examination must meet the following requirements.
- Must be not less than 18 years of age.
- Must have attained qualifying sea service of not less 36 months in the engine department of foreign going trading vessels of 750 kW or more in the capacity of any watch standing engine rating, electrician, electro-technical officer or electro-technical rating. Services performed in peripheral duties suck as Radio Officer, Purser Officer, Ship’s Clerk, Cook, Steward, Mess Man, Cabin boy, etc., are not acceptable as part of qualifying service. The decision of the Administration as to qualifying as to qualifying sea time will be final.
- Can, in lieu of .2 above, substitute training on a day for day basis up to 24 months for sea time as follows:
- Attendance to a maritime academy that prepares seafarers to become an engineering officer; or
- The possession of a Bachelor of Science degree in Marine Engineering
- Attendance to an approved Competency Course for engineer Officers
- All candidates for Engineering Officer examinations must provide evidence of having completed:
- Basic Safety Training
- Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats (PSCRB)
- Medical First Aid (MFA)
- Advanced Fire Fighting (AFF)
- Security Awareness Training
- Engine Resource Management training
- Marine Environmental Awareness
- Leadership and Teamwork/Managerial training; and
- Training in High voltage systems – if none can be provided, the certificate will be limited to vessels not equipped with high voltage systems (1000 V or more).
- Must demonstrate a good command of spoken and written English.
- Must present a Medical Examination from an approved medical examiner where the examination was performed within the two (2) years prior to the date of the application.
- Must present an Employment Record Book (ERB) that has been validated by the national maritime administration that issued the book as proof of sea service.
- Must present a valid passport as proof of identity and nationality.
Motor Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch (OICEW)
A certificate may be limited as to power rating of main propulsion machinery. Service shall have been aboard motor vessels of over 3000 kW propulsion power. At least one (1) year of the total service required shall have been completed within five (5) years preceding the date of application. At least six (6) months of the total service required shall at some time have been served on motor driven vessels.